Monday, May 25, 2009

Recipe: Quick (Rough) Puff Pastry

I made a "quick" puff pastry for a mushroom tart with mushrooms that I picked up from the local farmers market.

While I love puff pastry, I don't want to spend three days preparing it, or spend money on expensive store-bought doughs!

After some quick research, I found a recipe for a rough puff pastry that required a food processor. Since I am really ghetto, I don't have a food processor either, so I prepared the puff pastry by hand in a day.

There's a term that my chef instructor (Chef Patrice!) taught us for preparing a tender short crust pastry. Sablé, a method of gently kneading cold butter and flour together to form a thin layers of butter and flour. While I still "turned" the puff pastry a number of times, I believe the sabléing lended some tenderness to the pastry.

Here's a short video on the method (sorry for the graininess - I know *nothing* about video shooting / editing):



Ingredients
1 c unsalted butter
1 2/3 c all purpose flour
3/4 t salt
1/4 c ice-cold water, more if needed

Method
Dice butter and place in freezer for 15 minutes.

Sift together flour and salt into a large bowl. Add about half of the butter cubes to the flour mixture and sable until all butter has been kneaded. Chill if necessary (if it is a hot day, or you feel that the butter has softened too much!). Add remaining cold butter cubes and sable again. Do not work the butter in too much - you want a shaggy appearance.

Mix in ice water with a spoon or spatula. Gather the rough dough together and place onto parchment paper. Place another layer of parchment paper on to and flatten with your hands. Chill the dough for fifteen to thirty minutes at this point if you are working on a warm day.

Fold the dough into thirds and roll out. Turn the dough 90 degrees and fold into thirds again. Repeat the turning process two more times, then chill until firm, fifteen to thirty minutes.

The dough may be used in your recipes, or stored, wrapped, in the freezer for up to two months.

I'll post the recipe for the mushroom tart later - here's a side view of the puff pastry. Not too bad for handmade!

I'm like puff pastry - I have layers! One-day quick / rough puff pastry, beats store-bought!

11 comments:

  1. Many clear layers....I bet they are very crispy. The weather gets warmer and warmer here, I dare not to try to make pastry these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, Crispy it was....and so yummy! I don't think I'll make it again soon - it is definitely warming up around here, and although I love puff pastry, too much of a good thing can be...bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your homemade puff pastry looks so flaky and delish. You are right, store-bought is way too expensive for me too. Looking forward to that mushroom tart recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would you use a food processor to make this? Just dump the butter, flour and salt in, process it until chunky and mix in the water gently?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How would you use the food processor to make it? Add the butter, flour, and salt and process until there are chunks of butter, then mix in by hand the ice water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sistercooks - You mix the flour and salt together first, then add the frozen, diced butter to the food processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs are formed (there will still be chunks of butter). Add the ice water and pulse again - a shaggy dough should be formed. Turn out onto waxed paper or plastic wrap and press into one piece. Chill the dough, then proceed with the turning process.

    Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello i've tried ur recipe but failed can u guide me along?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon, It's a little warm (heat wave!) here in the Pacific Northwest. I'll try to do a tutorial once the weather cools down a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish! Quite similar to my recipe, but I do use the food processor. It's a worthwhile investment!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kirstin - you make me want to try this again! I'm thinking, spinach and butternut squash tart maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails