Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Seattle Review: Thai Ginger (Pacific Place, Seattle, WA)

Back to Seattle! Not really. I realized I still had some Seattle food photos on my memory card, so before we parade forward, lets go back in time.

Night three of the Seattle business trip showed on me. I was tired, a little cranky, and just agreeing with mom for sake of brevity. Sorry for the blurriness of the photos, please see above.

After walking around in the northwest drizzle for about twenty minutes and *not* finding the restaurants that I wanted to visit (although, I *should* have tried harder to persuade Miss MAY about the Dahlia Lounge or Serious Pie. Oh well. Pie for dinner (for her) would have been a big stretch.

Thai Ginger it would be. Afterall, it was *somewhat* similar to Vancouver food, right?




We ordered the chicken satays, angel wings (stuffed chicken wings), and beef curry. We should have just ordered two dishes instead of three because we wound up packing some to go!

What we hadn't expected was the American-sized portions. No, it wasn't overwhelmingly large, but compared to the Thai food portions in Vancouver, it was probably two to three times in size.

Admitedly, the chicken satays were a complete let down. The meat was not marinated enough and as a double whammy, more is *not* better. The thickly cut chicken breast didn't cook properly on the grill; while there were grill marks on the chicken, there was no grill flavour.

The chicken wings were quite good though! Mom kept on calling them "chicken legs" instead, because they were just stuffed with so much...stuff, and flat out huge. We actually shared a chicken wing the night we were there, and packed one to go. The curry was nicely spicey yet sweet. It came with some rice which were happy to devour...we also packed some of the curry and rice to go.

Thai Ginger is a chain restaurant - there are many of them around Seattle. I didn't expect a chain restaurant to have traditional carved Thai gates, room dividers, and other items, but it was a nice touch for ambience.

Glad to discover Thai Ginger.

Thai Ginger

600 Pine Street [map]

Seattle WA

Phone: (206) 749-9100

Thai Ginger (Pacific Place) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Interesting name for a restaurant....
    You dine out very often, don't you?
    Jessica, thanks for informing me about the "error" message. Do you happen to notice what reads the message?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think chain restaurants always serve HUGE portions. I hate this, especially on vacation, as I can't take home and hate wasting food (or overeating)! Most of the time huge portions = lower quality. Give me good taste and quality ingredients over buckets of grub any day!

    Seattle does have lots of amazing vegan/vegetarian spots from all types of cuisine. Even though I am no longer a vegetarian, I go out of my way for these places with I trek south of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I've been trying to cut back - it isn't cost efficient and a lot of the time, I believe I can do a better job of preparing it! But sometimes I just don't feel like cooking, and want to enjoy a patio or something. For this occasion though, I was on a business trip and didn't have the option of a kitchenette in the hotel. :( I got the error message a couple times, but haven't gotten it lately. It usually happens when I click through to "continue reading" each entry. I'll let you know the next time it happens.

    Vox Angel: wholly agree with you there. I think chain restaurants try to egg out the independent restaurants with that gimmick though. :( Are you from the Vancouver area? Victoria had some amazing vegetarian restaurants as well - if I were vegetarian, I'd choose Victoria as my "food mecca".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails