Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Recipe: Simple Mushroom Tart!

If you remember, I bought some mushrooms at the Richmond Specialty Mushroom Farms stall at the Trout Lake Farmers Market one weekend.

Crimini and portobello mushroms purchased from Richmond Specialty Mushrom Farms stall at Trout Lake Farmers Market

I bought a combination of crimini and portobellos, and rounded out the mix with some dried lobster mushrooms that I'd bought the same afternoon at Whole Foods.

Rustic mushroom tart with crimini and portobellow mushrooms from the Trout Lake Farmers Market and homemade, one-day puff pastry. Classic French flavours at its best!

I have to admit, as I was strolling about the farmers market that day, this recipe materialized in my head. An assortment of mushrooms sauteed with shallots in a light wine & cream base, and baked atop puff pastry. A variation on this would be a cream of mushroom soup with the puff pastry tops baked on to individual ramekins - yum!

Gigantuan shallots purchased from the Langley Farmers Co-op at the Trout Lake Farmers Market. These lovelies were almost 3 inches in diameter!

...forgot to mention that I bought a pair of gigantuan shallots at the Langley Farmers Co-Op stall at Trout Lake as well: check them out! they were about three inches in diameter!

Ingredients
About 8 to 10 large mushrooms - I used crimini and portobello, sliced
1/3 cup dried lobster mushrooms
1 huge shallot, or 2-3 smaller ones, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 c Dry white wine
1/4 c cream
1 recipe rough puff pastry, chilled, or thawed overnight in refrigerator if previously frozen
2 T chopped parsley, divided

Method
Soak the lobster mushrooms in about 1 cup of cool water for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Meanwhile, prepare the fresh mushrooms by heating a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Saute the shallots, stirring to coat with oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add sliced fresh mushrooms and stir to coat with oil. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme, and cook 2-4 minutes, stirring. Add drained lobster mushrooms.

Deglaise the pan with white wine; allow to cook off and add cream. Cook until mixture has thickened slightly. Taste and reseason if necessary. Stir in 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.

Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface to a rectangle approximately 14" x 12". Using a long, sharp knife, trim the dough. Cut approximately 1/2 off each side of the rectangle for the border. Press these strips onto the rectangular base. Chill dough at this point if necessary.

Transfer crust onto parchment-lined baking sheet.

Spoon mushroom mixture onto puff pastry dough. Arrange any mushroom tops attractively on top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pastry is crisp through. Enjoy warm.

Rustic mushroom tart with crimini and portobellow mushrooms from the Trout Lake Farmers Market and homemade, one-day puff pastry. Classic French flavours at its best!

I do have to say that this is very classically French. I don't know what drew me to make something like this - I guess clean, rich food and flavours?

Looking forward to cooking with more Farmers Markets finds this year!

3 comments:

  1. They should be very tasty.... if you like mushrooms, then this would be the right choice. Sometimes I have made certain kind of dishes, just because I happened to have the ingredients at hand, and wanted to give it a try for the sake of change....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, my husband would totally flip for all those mushrooms. This. Looks. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, Sugarlens - Thank you for the comments! I *love* mushrooms! I wasn't even fully aware of what kind of mushromms I had bought at the farmers market since I was in such awe of all the tastiness before my eyes :p
    A mushroom & brie melt / sandwich with the mixture would have been really as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails