Thursday, April 2, 2009

Review: Kintaro Ramen (Denman, West Side, Vancouver, BC)


Kintaro is one of those restaurants hole in the wall restaurants that does one thing only, but does it best! Handmade ramen that is, in a pork bone broth with different options of toppings, richness and type of broth, and option of fat or lean pork.



Staying true to its roots, Kintaro does not accomodate vegetarians (all soups are pork bone based!). I can kind of appreciate that from a cooking and a consumer point of view - why mess with a good thing? Have the food as it is meant to be consumed!

Kintaro has been on Denman *forever*. I remember rollerblading the sea wall with my older brother when I was a young teenager (13-14?) and sitting down to a satisfying bowl of piping hot ramen afterwards. The place always had an energetic vibe to it, and the line ups always went out the door.

Now, more than fifteen years later (am I dating myself here? haha!), not much has changed. My order hasn't changed either. Miso medium ramen with lean pork. I always make the "mistake" of ordering lean pork because I fear that the fatty pork is just too fat! Ah well. It's all good. The richness of the broth accomodates for the leanness of the pork.



The noodles come in large ceramic bowls and a ladle for slurping soup, toppings and pork. Somethings are definately nice to come back to. It's like taking a step back in time!

Kintaro Restaurant

788 Denman Street [map]

Vancouver BC

Phone: 604-682-7568

Kintaro Ramen on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Now, why didn't you tell me about this sooner? I'm loving it! Looks like the Wine Fest stuff went well? am a little sad i didn't fork out the $.

    Also, great job on the aesthics of the site.

    xina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I love old favorite restaurants like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stina! Nice to see you here. Thanks! I think me and M agreed that it was kind of a let down from last year. :( Sad to see that the economy is probably affecting everyone. Next year we might go back, but we might as well try a different event too.

    5 Star Foodie: Thank you for your comment! I love it when some things stay the same - it's comforting, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails