Monday, March 9, 2009

Recipe: Wasabi & Honey Glazed Salmon with Herb Buttered Mushrooms

We lucked out and picked up two portions of salmon for about $5 each this weekend, so I marinated them and pan fried for a healthy dinner.



I started with the salmon first, since it needed time to marinate. This can be done the night before, or about an hour before you intend to cook the salmon.

Ingredients
1/4 c olive oil
3 T soy sauce (light)
1 1/2 T honey
1 T brown or yellow sugar (I prefer brown, but only had yellow sugar)
2 T rice vinegar
2 T dijon mustard
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t wasabi powder

About 900 grams / 2 lbs of fresh sockeye salmon fillet portions, skin on

Method
In a non reactive bowl or lidded container, combine all ingredients except for salmon. Stir or whisk to disolve the sugar and wasabi powder, and to incorporate the mustard. Add the salmon and allow to marinate overnight, or approximately one hour.

When ready to cook, heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a wok or pan over medium heat. Cook salmon, skin side down for approximately two minutes. Flip salmon over with a spatula and finish for five to seven minutes on other side, or until salmon is pink and cooked through.

Optionally, you could flip the salmon over and finish in an oven set to 400ºF for about three to five minutes.

I served my salmon with some fried tofu, a generous sprinkling of dukkah (it was really nice with the salmon!), and a side of sauteed mushrooms with bell pepper.

Ahh, herb-buttered mushrooms. Its pretty much the favourite vegetable sidedish for all my major family "western food" functions. Trust me, the photos do not do it justice.














Ingredients
2 T olive oil
1/4 onion, sliced
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
8-12 good sized mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t oregano
salt & pepper
2 T white wine
~1 T butter

Method
In a wok or a pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onion, separating with a wooden spoon and stirring until onion is opaque. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring to prevent burning.

Add mushrooms and cook, stirring and tossing pan for about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook 2 minutes more. Season with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.



Add white wine (I used a cheapie, Night Harvest 2008 Sauvignon Blanc) and allow to reduce, stirring contents of pan. Remove from heat and monte au beurre with tablespoon of butter.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic recipe! The wasabi-honey glaze sounds wonderful with the salmon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited, another recipe to use up my little jar of wasabi! This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my hubby would nominate me for best wife ever if I made him this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually cook salmon the same old way - season with salt and pepper - and pan fry. Thanks for this recipe! Now I need to get some wasabi powder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails