Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Recipe: Ginger Snap Cookies



I love a good gingersnap. I remember when I first tried making these with my younger cousin, she was so disgusted at the thought of putting a savoury spice (the smell reminded her of Indian food!) that she gagged. That was the end of that escapade.

Today, I still love ginger, and I love gingersnaps. My cousin? I'm sure she's come around.

I made these gingersnaps in preparation for a birthday dessert for M. . .his birthday is tomorrow, think you can keep a secret?

Edit: now that I'm writing this entry, I noticed that I missed a couple ingredients. sheesh! In my old age, I am forgetting things. :( Oh well. They tasted great anyways!

Ingredients
3/4 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1/4 c molasses (I forgot molasses)
1 t vanilla extract (I forgot vanilla as well.)
1 egg

2 c flour
2 1/2 t ground ginger
2 t cinnamon
3/4 t cloves
2 t baking powder

In a mixer bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add molasses and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated. Beat in egg.

In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add mixture to butter mixture and mix until the dough comes together.

Roll into 1" balls; dip into white sugar, place on greased cookie sheets or silicone sheets and flatten with a fork. Bake at 375ºF for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.



I'll be making something tonight to go with these cookies - stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Those cookies look scrumptious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to M! Can't wait to see what you will be making with these cookies! I love warm cookies with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good, I love ginger cookies, especially when they're coated in sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like Ginger Snaps!! I use to think the small of cinnamon reminded me of Curry... But come on, I was like so young when that happened! If you made some right now I'll eat it all up!!
    Love you cuz!
    Iz

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm.... love a good ginger cookie! i have an internationally-acclaimed (friends in wales & u.s.) recipe i came up with that we love! one thing i do that you could also do with yours, if you want an extra bit of ginger, is to mix ginger powder with the sugar that you roll them in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sharilyn! I'm going to have to try the ginger/sugar trick. Do you have the recipe that you're talking about on your blog? I'd love to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails