Friday, March 27, 2009

Recipe: Ubi / Ube (Purple Yam) Bread

When I first joined the Foodbuzz community, one of the first recipes I was and was enamoured with was Angie's Ubi Purple Yam Two-Tone Bread.



I set out to search for Ubi powder, and found it shortly after while we were antiquing on Main Street! ...We wandered into a Philipino grocery store where the owner / lady helped us with a smile. Aside from the Ubi powder, we also picked up a variety of sauces. ...we tried the sauces first (that night actually) and were surprised to find that they were all very sweet - much like Philipino "ketchup", we declared. We had been expecting fiery, spicy sauce, so the sweetness was a little bit of a surprise.

Fast forward a couple weeks - I had forgotten about the ubi powder, but wanted to make a sweet bread. My mind went back to that fantastic photo of the dramatic purple streak through the white bread, and also the curiousity of what Angie calls a Tangzhong starter.

The Tangzhong starter utilizes a concept called starch gelatinization. It makes sense that as the water and flour are stirred and heated up over medium heat, that the starch, an insoluble polysaccharide breaks down into simpler sugars. The resulting hydrogen bonding sites are then able to pick up more water, and thus, improve the texture and moisture content of bread. (My Food Tech instructors would be so proud!)




While I was weighing out and preparing the bread dough, I noted the weights. I also made some changes and suggestions below.

Ingredients - Purple Dough
3/4 c all purpose flour (the original recipe calls for bread dough, but Canadian flour is harder / has more gluten, so I used that instead)
3T Ubi powder
2T + 2t white sugar
1/2t salt (I used Kosher salt)
1/2t instant dry yeast
2T Tangzhong starter (prepared from approximately 1/2 c flour + 1 c water)
1/4 c warm milk
1T + 1t egg, well beaten
2T butter, melted

Ingredients - Light Dough
1 c all purpose flour
2T + 2t white sugar
1/2t salt
1/2t instant dry yeast
2T Tangzhong starter
1/4 c warm milk
1T + 1t egg, well beaten
2T butter, melted

The recipe instructs users to prepare the dough separately, but next time, I'd prepare the doughs (minus yam powder) together, then divide them in two and knead in the yam powder. When I prepared the purple dough, I was worried that the yam powder wouldn't dissolve and make the bread grainy (see photos above). However, after baking, the yam provided a slight sweetness, and there was no graininess.

I'm looking forward to trying out the starch gelatinization concept in other applications. The bread was noticeably more moist than other breads, even a day later. I've been snacking on it here and there and it is tasty!

7 comments:

  1. Yum - this bread sounds delicious - and it's so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)) Jessica, I am really glad you like it. If you have no ubi left, (like me, using all, and none left) other alternatives like matcha, instant coffee powder, or sesame powder could be also taken into the considerations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful looking bread, I haven't seen anything like it before! I'm sure it tastes great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm a bread making novice..can you explain the steps to making the UBE bread? i'd like to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie, Thank you for your comment! Baking is one of the most theuraputic cooking forms - you'll love it! I may be doing some more baking with the Tangzhou starter. I'll explain more about the starter and also how to make it - meanwhile, please visit Angie's post http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/01/ubi-purple-yam-two-tone-bread.html for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!! :D i love anything ube flavored :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. how strong is the yam flavor? I've used the powder mix and thought it would dry out the dough too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails