Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lunchtime & Recipe: Jerk Chicken!

Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome to the new blog. 'Tis the food blog that I should have started eons ago. I'm just now moving some old entries over here, and hopefully it should be updated somewhat regularly since I do cook several times a week, and eat at new restaurants now and then.

For lunch today? Jerk chicken!



I grew to love Jerk chicken after trying it a couple times at Carribean festivals, Jamaican restaurants, but noticed that not one really satisfied all the quadrants of salty, sweet, spicy, and umami for me.

Thus, this recipe was born. We tried it once while camping as well, and used the marinade on chicken as well as salmon - it was SO good.

Ingredients
-2 T soy sauce
-2 T molasses
-1/4 cup lime juice
-1 T ginger, grated or finely chopped
-2-5 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 onion, finely chopped
-2-8 chilis or jalapenos, your choice - I used 6 chilis for mine
-1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
-1/4 t nutmeg
-1/2 t cinnamon
-1/2 t allspice

-6 to 8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in

Method
In a bag or large glass container, mix together the marinade ingredients.

Marinate your chicken in the marinade overnight, turning occasionally. I use chicken thighs because they are forgiving, and because they have so much flavour! Plus they're cheap. :)

Grilling is the way to go, but since my barbeque is out of commission, I took it indoors and panfried the thighs in batches for about 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat, then transferred them to a foil-lined pan where they mingled with each other in a 375ºF oven. By the time I removed them 25 minutes later, they were happy little fellows.

Jerk chicken. Spicy, sweet, finger-licking good! Served over brown rice with thyme-buttered vegetables, M enjoyed every last piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails