Saturday, April 17, 2010

Itsa Pizza Party! (Roasted Vegetable & Goat Cheese Pizza)

A couple weeks ago, I took part in a noodle party featuring Korean yam noodles / dang myun. Participants were to blog about their favourite noodle recipe, try something new, or...anything, just as long as the recipe included the yam noodles. A couple days later, Jeroxie suggested a pizza party, and the ball got rolling.

Participants this time (to be changed periodically once this post is live - list is from Jeroxie) are:
For my contribution, I kept in my "meatless" theme and went with an old favourite: roasted vegetable and goat cheese pizza. The crust is crisp, light and thin, and the vegetables are complimented by the tang of goat cheese. I forgot to add olives here, but they really add to the dish - calamatas please! :)


Ingredients - Crust (makes 2)
2 t yeast
1 1/4 c warm water
1 t sugar, syrup, or honey
2 T extra virgin olive oil
3 c all purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
3/4 t sea salt
1/2 t thyme leaves
1/2 t rubbed oregano

In a large bowl, mix together yeast, warm water, and sugar (or syrup or honey). Set aside for 10 minutes.

Add olive oil to bowl. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 1/2 c of the all purpose flour, all of the whole wheat flour, salt, thyme, and oregano. Gradually mix flour mixture into yeast mixture. Dough will be slightly sticky and moist. Add in remaining all purpose flour by hand.

Generously flour a working surface and hands. Knead for 10 minutes, adding flour if necessary to avoid stickiness. Place in well-oiled bowl; flip to coat surface. I covered the bowl and left it to proof for a good long while (I was away at work. :)

Punch down dough. Allow to rise for 1 hour.

Divide dough into two parts. With floured hands, on a floured surface, form the dough into two rectangular or circular bases.

Usually, I dust the pizza pan or baking sheet with cornmeal. In addition to adding lots of texture to the finished product, it prevents the crust from sticking to the pizza stone, baking sheet, or pan. But M is anti-cornmeal. So I dusted a piece of parchment paper with flour and used that instead.

Ingredients - Toppings (Yields about one pizza-ful; double to make enough to use up the dough)
1 small each red, green, orange bell peppers, or about 2 colours of your choice, cut into wedges
4-5 sliced mushrooms (I used shitaake, although this would be nice just with a mixture of mushrooms and asparagus!)
4-5 spears fresh spring asparagus cut into 3-4 inch sections
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t red chili flakes
1/2 t basil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 t balsamic vinegar
3 T olive oil
Tomato sauce
~150 g goat cheese / chevre

Preheat oven, with pizza stone, to 440ºF.

In a medium bowl, toss together vegetables, garlic powder, chili flakes, basil, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Smear tomato sauce onto reserved and shaped crust; top with seasoned vegetables. Drizzle any remaining olive oil mixture over top of pizza. Crumble goat cheese over pizza.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust bottom is lightly browned and toppings are cooked.


Enjoy!

I've enjoyed this with eggplant, portobellos, wilted spinach, and fresh summer tomatoes - it is just so good. Do give it a try and let me know how you like it!

BTW - this is not only limited to veggie toppings. M seemed to have assaulted his half of the pizza today with some cooked ham. C'est la vie!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to the party! A meatless version is always welcome. I love how you added asparagus to the pizza as well. YUM! And welcome on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crust looks fantastic!

    I love vegies on pizza but haven't tried them with balsamic, it would be a great flavour hit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jessica, your pizza crust looks fantastic! I'm definitely going to give your recipe a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crust looks perfect!! Very jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this is on my to-make list now. Love vegetarian pizza, and your crust looks so authentic and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your crust - I am a thin pizza fan, and I really want to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny - again, thank you for hosting and getting the word out about the pizza party! I'm trying to eat less meat (although M is constantly confused about WHAT my motive is for that, and how I go about it. :p)

    Jo - I love using a fig flavoured balsamic. It adds the perfect hint of fruitiness that goes well with the goat cheese.

    Jo, Steph, Ahn, Anh, Trix - am definitely proud of the crust. It is a bit moister than other crusts I have tried (those were generally more "doughier" and resulted in a thick crust that overwhelmed the veggie toppings), and is actually the nicest to work with. Just flour everything generously. :)

    Thank you everyone for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The crust looks fantastic and the roasted vegetables so colorful and healthy! Although this isn't limited to being vegetarian, it shines the way it is. What a great way to showcase spring and summer produce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all those colourful veggies on the pizza, a very healthy version. Fabulous! Can I have a piece?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes yes yes! If I am ordering a pizza and see one with goat cheese on it, I am drawn in like a fly to a piece of cake. Delicious looking pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the goat cheese topping, colourful too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The goats cheese is making me salivate. In fact the whole pizza is making me salivate. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tangled Noodle - try it, you might like it! :p M is a meat lover and even he enjoyed it. Of course, he was all about trying to convince me to pop some cooked chicken or ham (which he eventually did) It's still good!. :)

    Christine - I <3 bell peppers for that very reason. Colour!

    Conor, Shirley - me too! I actually bought a Costco-sized goat cheese for this as it was on sale. I've had goat cheese in one form or another for about three days. haha! Does goat cheese freeze well? We'll find out the next time I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must confess I haven't made pizza dough from scratch before but I am really tempted after seeing this beautiful pizza! The crust is super thin just the way I like it and slightly charred on the edges - really impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, I was really pleased when I first got it to work Phyllis! I'm thin pizza crust fan as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails